If you are planning to start a blog, the fundamental things you should manage are niche selection, getting a domain, and start publishing from the best content management system. But, before selecting a domain for your blog you will need to understand what is niche. And how to choose the best niche?
What is Niche?
Niche is a specialized segment of the market for a particular kind of product or service. The sector to which your work will target is a niche. In simple words, the niche is a category where the business has a target. A blog itself is a good example of a business that also requires a niche or category to write.
Selecting a niche is one of the most important tasks to start a blog. Because you will need to maintain continuity on your blog which you are targeting. Therefore, the niche of the blog should be more of your interest or passion, which could be anything. But always keep in mind that, your niche should drag some visitors who are interested in reading your content. Otherwise, the hours you spent on writing will be worthless.
If you have no detailed knowledge on any topic, it might get harder to make the contents under your niche evergreen. However, in most of the general niche topics, you will keep getting more expertise and experience as you go. If you have already gained detailed knowledge in different subjects or topics then proper research is required to find out the most profitable niche.
How to Choose Best Niche?
If you are getting what I am trying to explain up to this point, you might probably have imagined all the categories on which you have a little bit, broad range, or little bit of knowledge. Under Niche topic I tried to clarify that, you should have chosen such topics under which you can write a number of blogs in such a way that readers find it easy to read and understand.
Types of Niche
Before getting an idea of niche selection, first, we need to know about the types of niches. On the basis of broadness, niche can be categorized mainly into 4 categories.
- Sub-Niche and
Multi niche means a type of market targeting that is focused on multiple sectors where each topic may or may not have any relationship with other topics. On a multi-niche blog, the writer writes blogs under different topics and posts them on a single website. As the name itself contains “multi”, it covers a wide area of topics.
For example, I have one blog in which I write posts on different categories (Blogging, Tech, etc.) and post them on a single site. To manage different category posts dedicated work is done from the back end which includes giving categories and tags appropriately, and designing the menu so that the readers can get into a single category that they are searching for.
Advantages of Multi-Niche Blogs
- The main advantage of having a multi-niche blog is that you don’t have to pay for multiple domains and hosting plans.
- If you decide to add some micro-niche content you can simply write and publish it under a new menu and category.
- Also, you can make a site filled with enough content in the case of multi-niche because you can write what you know on different topics.
- It doesn’t require building, setup, and designing a new site for every topic you want to write.
Disadvantages of Multi-Niche Site
- All topics become unreachable if the hosting server faces a problem.
- Large websites are hard to migrate when it requires server change.
- Less user-friendly due to mixed types of content in lack of proper design and management.
Niche Sub-niche or Micro-niche Sites
When you start writing about a single topic covering everything from the origin to the end then it can be said a niche site. Sub or micro niche sites are narrower in terms of content coverage. They cover only specialized categories under a certain broad topic.
To understand this, we can take the example of the Cricket Niche. If you choose cricket as your niche you can write everything about cricket including history, matches, players, analysis of team or country, etc. But if you decided to write cricket-related articles based on a country or a certain territory, this can be called a sub niche. A sub-niche can still be covering broad areas but it will certainly not cover everything you want such as history.
In the same broad topic of Cricket, if you decide to write only about IPL only then it will be a micro niche blog on IPL cricket sport. Here, IPL can still be a broad topic, a micro niche may go as deep as throwing (bowling) a ball or spinning with a detailed presentation of your knowledge on it.
Level of Expertise or Knowledge
If someone is considering multiple topic-based blog or website, the writer may not focus on sub-topics that requires very precise knowledge of that topic. They can choose anything and write about everything they are sure about and avoid others.
In the case of a micro niche site, you will need a team or you must be an expert who must be able to write about each valuable sub-topics related to the sector you are running the blog. A micro niche will be out of content if you become incapable to write further under this niche. If you maintain multiple micro niche sites you will find it harder to manage because you have to set up each site individually in terms of design, seo, etc. Even if you decide to clone the design, it will take a longer time.
And definitely, if you maintain a new blog you will realize that each of your sites requires a separate identity such as logo and tagline, and more effort to establish the identity or branding, etc.
After reading this, you have to decide what to start. If you believe that you can maintain continuity on your site under a sub or micro niche then go for it without hesitation. If you are not yet able to decide on a certain topic, it would be best to go with multi-niche blog which you can start with a single domain, single hosting plan, single theme, and a single setup or design.
Later, if you feel that niche sites are best then you can start a new niche site with similar concepts and ideas you used for particular category blogs on your multi-niche site.
How to Choose the Best Niche?
Even if you have good knowledge of a certain topic, you may not succeed if you ignored other aspects such as profitability and search performed over this. A niche can be found when all of the followings are identifiable.
- Area of Interest – You must be interested to conduct a search.
- Area of knowledge – You must be known about the topic or at least be able to break down the findings on that topic.
- Profitable – Niche must be profitable that can make some conversion.
- Search Volume – A niche can get profitable only when it gets a reasonable volume of traffic.
- Competition – For starters, a competitive niche can get frustrating.
Some of the Best Niche Ideas for 2021
After the pandemic, in most parts of the world, people are still afraid of getting in public. Similarly, some trends are ongoing conditions. Keeping them in mind you can try one or some of the suggested best niches for 2021.
- Job Vacancy Sites specialized in online jobs
- Job Vacancy Sites targeting countries like the United States where millions lost their job
- Fitness Ideas for those who can’t join a gym as a result of the pandemic
- Covid-19 Cases Statistics Site With detailed analytics (may require some coding skills too)
- PUBG Mobile – Redeem Code, Playstore Gift Cards, Tournaments
- Free Fire
- Call of Duty Mobile
- Cryptocurrencies and Blockchain
- Domain and Hosting Guides (as the rate of making an online presence is increasing)
- Trendings like Clubhouse